Saturday, October 17, 2009

It's That Time!....


I made chili for the first time this fall!
I grew up in a house of no soup or chili. My mom just never made it...I have to admit, I think it was because my dad doesn't like either one very well. I should say DIDN'T..I think in his older years he has grown to enjoy soups & chili!


So needless to say...I'm not very good at making either..they kinda scare me! I know everyone says how easy they are to make ....but if you aren't comfortable making it...it's not easy!

So, after a few attempts last year at Chili....I think I have a recipe that we like. We (or should I say I'm) aren't big Tomato fans...so you won't find tomatoes here....but you can easily add them if you like them...yuck!


**CHILI**

1+ lbs of Burger (fried & drained)
can also add onion and/or green pepper

1can kidney beans-drained
1can black beans-drained
1can chili beans-undrained
1can Hormel chili with beans (or spartan or meijers...)
2 15oz cans tomato sauce (or one larger)
1/3 c. milk
1 T chili powder (Penzeys Chili 9000 is the best!!)
1/2c. sugar
ketchup to make your own consistency

Mix together in crock-pot and simmer at least one hour..or longer, on low. Enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~
For you KC area readers, Penzeys is on Alpine near Toys R us...if you haven't been there..GO! It's a must! They have a lot of different spices and mixes and they are awesome We especially like Northwoods!

BTW...last year I purchased a variety of spices (cocoa, Northwoods, pepper, cinnamon...) for my step-mom and mother-in-law for Christmas presents. They both bake a lot and it's a gift they don't have to dust or burn! So, If you are buying for a baker or just for someone that likes their food to taste good!

Another thing that I like about it is they have no 'fillers' and it's not really much more expensive than buying it in the grocery store..and some stuff is even cheaper! AND if you sign up for their mailing list they send you a catalogue every quarter that is filled with recipes and usually has a coupon on the front for a free spice....WOW!!

I feel like Will Mays!

5 comments:

julie said...

You have to love those people at Hormel. I am best friends with Betty Crocker too!

Janice said...

I have simplified your recipe. Open can of Hormel chili with beans, heat and eat. Better when you add cheese on top, and eat with Tostitos Scoops. I also love cooking with Mrs Crocker and Mr Kraft.

Vicki said...

Janice put your recipe over some Philly cream cheese and you've got and awesome dip!

Personally though, I'm not a bean fan.

The Hendersons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janice said...

The microwave is quicker--but you have to watch for exploding beans.