Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A First 4 Me....

I attempted something AGAIN. I have tried to make these a few times before....Caramels!

I have followed recipes to the tee in the past, with no avail....until today!

Anything that calls for a candy thermometer or 'soft ball stage' is a little bit scary for me!


I gathered my ingredient and set out to make some Pecan Caramels today. I tasted these yummies at Jerry & Jill Millers house and have been dreaming of them ever since. They assured me how easy they were to make..yeah right..been there, heard that! I had high hopes for myself! To my amazement they turned out.


It's kinda good and bad! Good...I finally accomplished something I have tried before *tear*. Bad...I put nuts in them and my family won't eat them ..so by the time January rolls around..I'm gonna be rolling!

Here is the packaging plant. I recruited Steve to help wrap them in wax paper...it was a tedious part of the process.

Here is the recipe so you can make some for yourself....



Pecan Caramels

1c. sugar
1c. light corn syrup
2c. heavy whipping cream (1pint)
1-14oz. sweetened condensed milk
2c. chopped pecans
1tsp vanilla

Line a 9x13 pan with foil and butter. In large heavy pan combine sugar, c. syrup and 1 c. cream. Bring to a boil over med. heat. Cook & stir till smooth & blended about 10 min.

Stir in 1c. cream & milk. Bring to a boil over med-low heat;stirring constantly. Cook & stir until candy therm. reads 238....about 25 min. It does take a lot of stirring so stay strong!

Remove from heat and stir in pecans & vanilla. Pour in pan. Don't scrape if scorched on bottom! Cool. In frig or counter. When cool, lift foil out & turn upside down on board. Peel off foil. Cut in squares with pizza cutter. Wrap in wax paper. Enjoy!

Hide somewhere so you don't eat them all or give away to your skinny friends!

1 comment:

julie said...

Wow that looks yummy. Hope I'm getting some in my stocking this year.