Thursday, March 31, 2011

AWANA

A week at AWANA  
First of all, AWANA is our Wednesday night program at KCBC.  It runs through the school year and is open to K-6th grade.  The 3-6th graders is called Truth &Training or T&T.  I have a girls group of 3&4th graders. This is my 9th year helping..those years were not all consecutive..as I took a break for a few years.

Second of all, we have "small group" three times a year and last night was one of those nights.  We do a variety of activities..it's totally up to the leader of that group for example....I was gone the week before SG group (I didn't know about it till I showed up that next Wed.) so on short notice, I took the girls to Speedway to get a slushie....can you say--BIG HIT!
Last night, I actually planned to make cookies with the girls.  These are not all my girls..three of them are..I took another group for a leader that couldn't be there.  So I had 7 girls!

I pre-mixed Oatmeal Chocolate Chip and Sugar Cookies.  Most of the girls had said that they have made cookies.  The drop cookies were no problem.  The roll out was another story.  They wanted to roll it out like playdough.  So, we had to talk about how thick to make it.  They all took a turn rolling out the dough and cutting Easter shapes.  They enjoyed baking...
Angela, Teana and Breegan

Easter Bunny..isn't it cute! 
Hailey working the rolling pin..which, by the way, was my mom's.  
The girls were all worried about breaking it...don't think that is possible! 
The group! 
while they were baking we played a little Skip-Bo 
Angela & Breegan 
finished product...
the girls did great...some of them were really good at baking!
More importantly, I got to build relationships with these girls.  I love seeing them around the schools and town.  AWANA is a great program!  I'm glad to be a "seed planter" in this wonderful and fulfilling ministry!

On a side note....I have a pretty good relationship with all the girls..I'm loved. This one particular girl I was watching during counsel time and I made a special point to tell her how beautiful she was.  She lit up like a light bulb.  She said "no I'm not" I said "yes you are & I'm going to tell you every Wed. night!"   I even got to see her at KC Carnival and made a point to tell her again.  WOW...what 5th grade girl doesn't want to know she is beautiful!  Lets be honest, what 40 year old doesn't want to hear that??  I have to wonder how saying those words might change her life?  I might never know in this life time??  I might never see the seeds that are planted on Wednesday but God does promise that his word will not return void! So some day in Heaven I hope to see some AWANA girls!
That was not how I had planned this blog!

2 comments:

julie said...

Great job Joanne. These are very lucky to have you in their lives. Kind words can go a long way :)

Glidewell Family said...

Way to go Joanne. That is Awesome! I just had a friend post what Awana means to her on FB. Her church is thinking about not having Awana because it's to much work. I'll send you a copy of her note. Its a a good read. And a encouragement to keep on building relationships because you never know who needs you. Well my comment didn't go the way I planned it either.