Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Yummy Days of Winter

 All the days of winter I dream of the wonderful things I could bake.  
My taste buds crave things like 
bread pudding, rice pudding, soft oatmeal raisin cookies and apple crisp.
 My families buds crave things like chocolate chip cookies and I don't know what?
I'm not their taste buds!

So today, I fed the inner buds!
BREAD PUDDING..yes!!!
 Oh so yummy!  The smell of it brought everyone running to the kitchen!  Some were disappointed to see the raisins and some were disappointed by the gluten laden bread before them!  But some of us were in heaven..I'm sure this will be there on the Heavenly Buffet.  I know it will, I see it on every buffet!!
This recipe from, you know it, allrecipes.com didn't let me down!  I wanted to share it...just in case there were other Bread Pudding lovers out there!
 In case you were wondering what I was going to do with the other half the pan (which I kind of wanted to eat!) I'm sharing it with Mr. Brott...he wasn't sure he has ever had it and he is 86.  I don't want him to go down never having eaten bread pudding!

BREAD PUDDING
  • 6 slices day-old bread
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F 
  2. Break bread (I cut mine up) into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
  3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
  4. Bake 45 min. or until it is 'set-up' (I baked mine about 1 hr)



All I can end with is ENJOY!

4 comments:

julie said...

I want to try some. Any left?

~joanne said...

yes there is...fly right over! Make some it's pretty easy!

Sara said...

Ooh - we LOVE bread pudding around here! I also put in vanilla, and (especially in the fall) chopped apples. But the BEST? Day-old cinnamon raisin bagels. Because they're denser than regular bread, it makes the pudding have more substance.

And, let's not forget, since it has, you know, eggs, milk, and bread... it makes a perfectly acceptable breakfast!

Sara said...

Sorry. Yours has vanilla too. Should have read that more closely. :-)