Thursday, February 17, 2011

Recipe of a different kind....

No, I haven't started drinking
No, I don't have a recipe for a mixed drink....
It's a recipe for Homemade Vanilla! 

This is what you need to get started...
a 1/5 of Vodka,  Vanilla Beans and a jar of some sort
Pour the Vodka in the jar.  The hardest part (which is not hard at all!!) of making the vanilla is cutting the beans/pod open.  You slice the pod open and scrape the inside with a sharp knife and wipe seeds on the edge of the jar.  Now, this is the part you have to decide..how strong do you want it to be.  I made some last summer with Renee and I  used 2 beans in a 1/2 of a 1/5 (we shared the bottle)..I didn't think it was strong enough. (but probably much stronger than any store!!!) So this time I put in 9 beans in a whole 1/5th.  Basically, there is no exact recipe, it's a personal taste.

I get my beans from Penzeys Spices on Alpine by Toys R Us....in my opinion, we are LUCKY to have them so close.  I love all their stuff..you have to check it out.  If you do go in, sign up for the mailing list..they send you a new catalog with recipes and usually a coupon for a FREE product..bonus!  Each tube has three beans and is $7.25  or they have 15 beans for $29...if you have a friend to share with you. 

The rest of the pod I cut in three pieces and put in jar...the reason...it still has beans and flavor...obviously you would not want these in a smaller bottle you might keep in your cupboard....so strain them out when you transfer to a smaller jar.
The end product looks kind of like swamp water.  This process takes at least 1 month..or more!!
Every couple of days you should give the jar a good shake.  You can use anytime after 1 month but the longer it 'brews' the better!   
This is about the easiest think I can think of to make..honestly it took like 15 minutes.  
I was thinking it would be a great teacher gift, mother-in-law or any baker in your life!  Just think, you can make Christmas Presents in March and it will be ready to put in cute jars in December!!!!

stay tuned for my next recipe....it is like no other recipe I have posted!!!

2 comments:

Glidewell Family said...

I'm glad you posted this recipe because for some reason I've been thinking about you showing it to me this past summer and thinking it was about time I look into doing it.

julie said...

Happy to see a bottle of alcohol on another family members blog!!

Sounds like a fun project. Might give it a try.