Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Not an Edible Recipe

I promised you another recipe..
this is one I have wanted to do for awhile and never got around to it!
well I got around to it...
I thought this would be fitting heading into Spring~
Window Cleaner
This is what you will need...
Empty gallon jug (free)
1 pint of rubbing alcohol (1.69) 
1/2 c Ammonia (free-my friend gave me her unused portion)
squirt of dish soap (free-on hand)
squirt blue food coloring (free-on hand) 

Mix all above in jug and fill the remaining with water to equal a gallon. label!
The blue food coloring doesn't do anything...we just all know window cleaner should be blue!
some recipes don't call for dish soap.. some do..that is optional also.  Note..Next time I make some up, I will add the soap after I fill jug with water as the soap makes it bubble up and hard to fill.

I'm kind of excited to see how it works this Spring.  I did clean my porch window and it seemed like it did a great job.  The true test will be at the neighbor I clean for..I always have an awful time getting his not to streak!

I didn't get my recipe here but they had some others listed so I thought I would make a link (and some other fun things to look at....

3 comments:

Vicki said...

I use a simple homemade recipe for window cleaner too. I use 1/4 cup vinegar to 2 cups water in a spray bottle, but for the first couple of time you use this recipe on your windows you will need to add 1/2 teas. liquid soap to help rid your window of the wax build up from store bought cleaners which is why streaks happen when you try a purer cleaner. By the time you use up the bottle of cleaner with soap in it you can go to just using the vinegar and water if you wish. I have to admit my cleaner is not blue and adding food coloring to anything that I spray scares me (will it stain my white sheers?)but I like the idea.

~joanne said...

I never thought about the blue staining...hmmmm..maybe not such a good idea...I only added 2 drops to the whole gallon...

Tod Henderson said...

Slick!