Thursday, November 19, 2009

Craziness...

Today I got a call back from my family doctor, well actually the nurse, I needed to come in for a CBC blood test. They wanted to see where my Hemoglobin levels were.

So after being up last night till 5am....yes, 5 am......I was up all night long!! I now had to drag my weary body in to the Dr's office to have a lab draw. So, at 3pm I finally got out of my pj's and robe and drove myself to Sparta. They quickly did my draw and I was off the Family Fare for a few groceries.

At about 7:30pm I received a phone call from my Doctor. Ummmmm...how are you feeling..she asked? I've been better I relayed to her. Well, we got your blood work back.....your Hemoglobin is 5.8!!!! Which is extremely low!! Like really really low! Normal is 12-14 they like it to be 10 to do surgery. As you might remember, mine was 8.5 pre-surgery. So it has taken a nose dive. All that Iron I've been pop'n for no avail!

Apparently, when it gets that low your body just can't keep up. This is all new to me..so I don't really understand it all.

Soooooo the real reason for the post, to let you know.....I'm going to have a blood transfusion tomorrow. I've heard that this is a lengthy procedure...like to the tune of 6+ hours. Geeee, It's sounds like a fun time. The whole thought of someone else's blood in my veins seems kind of weird to me! I know I have to have it....but it's just kinda freaky!

So pray that all goes well.....and smoothly. I hope to be feeling like a new woman by tomorrow night!

5 comments:

julie said...

I'm worried about you sis!! I don't think we can blame all this on Mt. Dew though.

The Hendersons said...

we will continue in prayer for you Joanne! i just talked with steve and sounds like you are doing well this morning. i hope your day goes well and you have more energy soon.

we love you.

Vicki said...

Many thoughts and prayers sent your way. Let us know as soon as your energy is back up to speed! Although, you must not have been feeling too bad - did I read you went shopping? LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

wow, Joanne, I can't believe you were still conscious with your hemoglobin that low. wow. are you still taking the hormones? I found rather than my body adjusting to it, the longer i was on it, the more insomnia and irritability i had, even with melatonin. I pray that God will give you the strength to hang in there until Dec. 8. as low as your hemoglobin has been, it may take you some time to recover. bleeding for that long takes more out of us than we realize. so I'll pray for patience and highly recommend online shopping for Christmas! I can really relate to the exhaustion and frustration. please let me know if there's anything I can do to help!
Tracie

Glidewell Family said...

Wow I sure hope they get to the bottom of this. When I take the kids to WIC apt. they check our Hemoglobin and they want to see it at 11 so I know those are low number. Take care and we are praying for you.