Monday, July 27, 2009

July Recipe....

Remember long ago...when I was going to post a recipe every month...well I lost track of time....maybe I can shoot for quarterly?!?!?

Well, since this is Blueberry Season...I thought a blueberry recipe would be fitting.

First, let me give credit where credit is due. I first read about the recipe from Rachel's blog, which is a friend of the Hendersons(odetogoodness.wordpress.com) ....which she got from another blog (smittenkitchen.com)...which she got from (allrecipes.com)

All in all, I really know none of these people...funny what the Internet brings! BTW...allrecipes is a great website if you haven't been there...GO! I love reading the comments from real people before I cook something!


Blueberry Bars

1 cup white sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup cold butter (2 sticks)
1 egg

1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
squirts of lemon juice
4 cups of fresh blueberries (I used frozen and it worked fine)
~~~~~~~~
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Grease a 9×13 pan.

2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly; Pat 1/2--3/4 of dough into the prepared pan.

3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.

4. Bake for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. (This took an extra 10-15 minutes in my oven.) Cool completely before cutting into squares. Store in frig.

ENJOY!.....

5 comments:

Tod Henderson said...

suggestion: to all readers of this blog entry. IMMEDIATELY run to the store for ingredients and make this recipe. it is simply that good. now.... GO!

Glidewell Family said...

Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it. We ordered our bluberries from a farmer in Oregon. No blueberry farms down here. But, a great deal none the less as mine will come picked, washed, and frozen.

julie said...

They didn't last long at my house!!I love blueberries. I am so jealous that you guys can just go pick them. I remember picking them as kids and riding home in the back of a station wagon just eating them by the handful!! Now that I think about it I probably spent more time just eating them right off the bushes.

Vicki said...

Wow! I missed a lot while on vacation. Love your Grandma - tell her "Hello" for me. This recipe looks great - will have to try it out!

Chris & Jerri Coates said...

I made this and it was wonderful! I did add some cinnamon to the mix.