Thursday, April 17, 2008

A New Found Love.....

I have a new love in my life...Craigslist! I have looked in the past on CL for a dog, washer, just general 'stuff'. The kinda 'stuff' you didn't know you wanted or needed till you see it listed. Like when I go to Meijers outlet, garage saleing (I know this isn't a word!) or Goodwill, I'm not sure what I'm looking for till I see it! "Oh, I didn't know I needed that!!" Unlike going to the grocery store when I need milk...in and out with milk.

Okay, anyways back to my new love. They have a 'free' listing for Grand Rapids. Normally, it's broken concrete, old TV, couch that my dog chewed a hole in....you get the idea! This particular day I was checking it and there it was....A hot tube (that's how it was listed) knowing it was a probably a hot tub, I clicked on it. There it was....a 4 yr old 6-8 person with all working parts but needing a cover. It stated that they paid just under 7,000 for it! What?? are you kidding me, my thought...scam. You know, if it's so good to be true...it is!

So Steve picked up the phone and promptly called on it and guess what.....busy...shocking! Mind you, we were only calling 15 min. after it was listed. So he left a message. I left a message about an hour later stating we would be willing to pay some cash for it?????? (My thought...you gotta 'stand out') We were pretty confident after a couple of hours that it was gone. I did pray as I was working in the yard....."Lord if you would want us to have this, would you work out the details." Low and behold about 4pm we received 'the' phone call. The lady asked if we were still interested in the hot tub? Steve said absolutely!!!!! By 5 we were headed down with our trailer and a neighbor. We soon realized that it was going to take more than two guys and me to lift this item! We paid her $100 and told her we would be back! She stated that she had received over 100 phone calls...no doubt in my mind! I felt like I was the big winner!!

So yesterday, we called on some unemployed friends to help Steve bring it home......it was H-E-A-V-Y! The homeowners had put up a fence since it was placed on their deck....needless to say, it was a little difficult to get it on the trailer. They did get it home and it resides on a trailer in our backyard. Side story...when Steve went down to pick it up, I didn't go, but he lady was talking to him and said "I called you 'cause your wife sounded so nice when she left the message!"

It does need a cover (and some stain) but the lady said everything else works...we will soon see. I asked Steve to 'mock' hook it up before we get rid of our old tub just in case something doesn't work. We are not sure what we will do with our old one?!?!?

In my opinion, this is a great Craigslist story! Okay I'm now realizing I just revealed my secret.......CL! Now, I have that much more competition. I'm guessing there is enough 'stuff' to go around!!! May all of you have a CL story like ours......

~joanne

5 comments:

julie said...

I love CL in California too. I just bought a beautiful bedroom set from Ethan Allen for $1500 (originally $5000) Not as good as your deal!

Glidewell Family said...

I was doing research yesterday looking at Jeep Liberty Limited Urban Terrain stollers as we were given one last year (used)the gilrs just ripped the seat out. Anyways we love it and I was thinking of replacing ours. While I was researching there was one lady who totally hated her jeep and was listing it on CL. I was thinking what is CL and here you are blogging about it. LOL

Joel said...

Aunt Joanne, I have to Salem free stuff page bookmarked on every computer I use, home and work. Now it's just one click away. A one-stop shop of awesome, isn't it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Hendersons said...

congrats Joanne! that is an amazing story and I enjoyed reading it. i look forward to soaking in your new found treasure in a month or so! Can't wait.