Monday, October 11, 2010

Art Prized x2

It's all the talk in Grand Rapids! If you live anywhere in Michigan, you have probably heard of Artprize...and probably attended! This year was the 2nd annual Artprize. I attended briefly with the kids last year (Trent had a broken leg). This year I was able to attend two different times!

Now, let me just say, I'm not really a 'artsy' kinda gal. I usually don't get artists artistic minds! I also gravitate to the metal type artistic venues..I also like the touchable items. Really don't care for painted artwork...but that is just me!

The first time I went this year, a Sunday, was with Steve Troy & Trent. It was packed, you could hardly get around to see the artwork. I'm not going to give each name..simply because I don't have time! So you can just enjoy the pictures----



This one was one of my favorites right out of the box! It was made with pennies and in a penny form...cool huh? I know, I have a simple mind!
My second visit was with the girls. We went on a Monday afternoon...and let me just say, it was perfect weather and not a lot of people out...so we could really enjoy the art. Here we are in front of the Gerald R. Ford Museum. (L-R)Renee's friend Mary, Mary's SIL Tammy, Renee, Danielle, Joanne & Darica. Renee was our tour guide and she did a great job...she got us to all the Top 10's
The Elephant WalkThis was made with crayons...the bottom side of them...it's the seven days of creation. Calvary, a 28 foot drawing with 2H pencil. He drew this from a photograph.
Here I am with Chris LaPorte, the Artist. Because it took me soooo long to post these pictures, we now know he was the 1st place winner! He won 250,000. Does this make me famous? This was done with wine stained corks. Impressive
When girls get together, they have to go for lunch. We went to Big O's
Steam pig
Bohemian wave Artprize placed pianos all over town. People were encouraged to sit and play a tune..here is Danielle playing a number for us.
This was another of my favorites. From a distance it looks like a mural of Grand Rapids...as we took a closer look we realized what it truly was......It was balls in tubes...very impressive! Can you imagine sliding all those balls in that tube...and in the right order..Patience! To give you an idea of what it looked like up close....I snapped this picture.
What a great idea for GR. It was stated that there were 450,000 votes cast....WOW! Almost 1/2 million people... a great boost for the GR economy. Later.....

4 comments:

Vicki said...

I love art and how cool was this representation! Wow!! Can you tell me- was the lion a wood carving?
I can't wait to show my son who loves to draw the prize winning piece!

The Hendersons said...

joanne, excellent post. that is an amazing show. i would have really enjoyed going. you brought it to life. i am so impressed with artists since i just don't have it in me. i loved it.

~joanne said...

Vicki the Artist used Cement nails! Cool huh? Click on the picture and then click again... you can get a closer look.

Vicki said...

Nails! Impressive. Really this was a cool art show.