Monday, March 16, 2009

Trial Run....

I would have expected this post from a newly married couple...but not 'seasoned' married couples like us! We have been married almost 21 years...Wow..that's quite an accomplishment. But this is not about how long we have been married....It's not our Anniversary....We aren't taking a 2nd honeymoon..(are we?)

It's about something I learned long ago...You don't let your husband go shopping with you!!...end of post!!! But yesterday was a rare day for Steve and Joanne...we ventured out to go shopping together. Now, this wasn't one of those quick in-quick out after a dinner shopping jaunts. You know the ones...you go to Walmart after a dinner to get one or two things. No, this was full fledged shopping. Like stop here-stop there kinda shopping.
It has always been customary for Steve to stay home with the kids while I shop. It's much more pleasant for, lets see....me, Steve, kids, other shoppers....just about everyone involved! So in Steve's defense, he has always been his duty to stay home.
He sprung the question on me as I was looking through the ads..."can I go with you?" Thoughts raced thought my head...do I want him to go? Will he hurry me? Will he leave me at the store? Will he tell me not to buy things? Will we get upset with me? Will I get upset with him? I said..."we will see." As I spoke those words, I thought, shouldn't I let him go with me? He promised to be different..not the "newly married" Steve that I once knew. I let him go only on a trial basis.
To my surprise...we had a great time. We headed out with lists & coupons in hand. We made 7 stops and not once did Steve complain..that's right..not once...and one of those was even Michael's! Not many men can say that about themselves...that right there is quite an accomplishment!
He even opened the car door for me at every stop....which is not something I or he is accustom to. He then wanted to push the shopping cart..I have my limits. I did let him try it out a couple of times though.
Our biggest treat was sharing a piece of pizza at Sam's Club. I also taught him an invaluable lesson...bargain shopping! First...is never buy anything that isn't on sale. Second...try to use a coupon. Third..stop at the store that has it for cheapest sale.
It was a great sale week at Meijers, it's was their 10 for $10 and get one free sale. For ever 10 items you buy you get one free. It's then 90¢....I then pulled out the 75¢ off coupons. This is when Steve started to get impressed. Even I was impressed! I have to admit here...I even purchased somethings I truly didn't need, just to use my coupon. Hey, it was only 50¢!
Now, I know I have made Steve out to look like a bad husband....he's far from that. We all have things that we have learned early on in our marriage...this is one of them! It seemed to work for us...it wasn't a bad thing that he didn't go get groceries with me. So let me just lift Steve up for a moment...he is a great husband and I wouldn't change our life for anything!
The lesson here.....We all have the ability to change...we are not stuck in the "that's just how I am mold!" We can change what WE want too! It's definitely easier to stay where you are, usually less painful. It's hard to change there is no doubt..change is difficult. My challenge to myself & you..look for something you want to change...big or little...make strides to change it..today!!

8 comments:

steve said...

Joanne, You are too good to me! We did have a great time together! I can't wait 'till next week!

"Change is easy if you want to change."

The Hendersons said...

omg... i can't wait to see what julie says to this post ;)

Anonymous said...

This is exactly how I felt when John said "can I go with you" on the after-Thanksgiving-Day-sales. I really had to think long and hard about that--but it turned out very good. He was fun to have around that day.

I think we are gearing up for the Golden Years. You know what I am talking about--you have seen them together in the store--we are becoming THEM! Next thing you know we will be getting "our hair done" every Friday at 11am, or is it Tuesday at 2pm? I forget.....

julie said...

I'm speechless. Next he will be helping with the laundry!!

This is what happens when your sisters don't live nearby and they can save you from the craziness. If you go to the spa together I will be really mad!!

"Shopping is easy if you want to shop"

Vicki said...

I'm so happy for the two of you. Shopping, now that's something I can't do unless I have a purpose for doing it. Much credit to you Steve. Joanne, with my husband, who often helps out around the house and does most of the grocery shopping, I would wonder what he wanted by being EXTRA nice to me. Then again, maybe Steve's getting you two prepped for the future when you become empty nesters. You know in 12 years!

~joanne said...

If Steve went to the Spa...I won't be believing that...that would be the Post of the Year!

steve said...

When are we going!

The Hendersons said...

let's just say that if pictures are included in the spa day post with steve.. you would be a stone cold LOCK for foreign blog of the year ;)