Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mom's Moment...

This is an unusual post for me, as I am not high on the emotional chart. This is probably why God gave me all boys. I would not be able to relate to a Drama Queen!

All that being said..I'll continue...
Tyler applied in February to work at Lake Ann Camp near Traverse City for the summer. He applied to work in the kitchen, in his words..that's where all the girls are! Yesterday, he received word he was hired...on the cleaning crew....not his first choice, but he accepted! He thinks this could be revenge, for a 'incident' he was involved in as a camper last summer!

I had received the call during the day asking him to call back after school. As I talked to Mr Miller I had a flood of questions. I wanted to know......when will they have to be there?, what if he wants to go on a Mission Trip?, Where will he sleep?, who will wash his clothes?..... I didn't bombard Mr. Miller with all those questions...I wanted to...but held back.

What I realized during those hours....my baby is going to go 2+ hours away for the entire summer. Granted this crossed my mind many times and I was admittedly...excited. The thought of sending my teenager away, once brought joy to my heart! I had thought this would be great...if you don't have teens...you probably don't understand....yet!

This day was different, it brought a sadness over my heart as I thought about Tyler leaving...only for the summer...but not being present from day to day. It will only be a short time and he will be going to college...embarking on a new life. He won't be with us anymore. He will always be our son...that's not what I'm talking about. He won't come and eat dinner with us every night, he won't sleep here, some other girl will take precedence in his life, he will have a job to go to....

Lake Ann is a great camp and I know this will be a wonderful life-changing experience for him. I'm so happy for him, he will grow undoubtedly, by leaps and bounds. He will come back a changed boy...on the way to manhood. If nothing else, he will be able to clean the bathroom for me!

I'm so excited for this opportunity for Tyler......

9 comments:

Vicki said...

My heart ached for you while reading your words. I only have tweens but would feel lost without them. I miss them when they go one night for a sleepover. I can't imagine a whole summer. WOW - but think what a great mother you must be to have raised a young man brave and willing enough to leave home for the whole summer. You know, this just means you ROCK!!!

Rhonda said...

That's got to be tough....you want them to grow up and mature, but hard to see (and feel) them do it. Tyler is such a great young man. The principal asked me to help her fill out her reference form, as she didn't know him well, and it was neat to write about his positive character traits! Maybe I should have been negative?! :) We'll be praying for him this summer.

Anonymous said...

It is very hard to watch(feel)them leave the nest!! I have learned that prayer is a even more important part of my life!! You have to HOLD on to the peace only God can give you. You and Steve have done such a wonderful job in raising your boys!! LoriK:)

Tod Henderson said...

Jo - what a heart felt post. You are awesome for sharing your feelings. It creeps up on you.. this kids becoming independent and embarking on their own path. And then in just hits you in the face. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this potential transition!

steve said...

Wow Honey, I am so impressed with your expression of feelings. I will always be here with you, at your side. As time marches on, and our house changes, I will be your constant. Although "growing old together" has been our motto. The changes to get there will be difficult at times; remember, we will make it through together. I love you!

~joanne said...

AAAAWWWWW...Steve..your soooo sweet!

Is this old age..getting all sentimental about everything?..Oops I mean me..not Steve!

The Hendersons said...

geeez... you two... get a room!

julie said...

I was getting all misty till the comments got all mushy!!

I just remember everyone else so excited about them leaving and loving college and I was feeling like it was such a loss.

But then you have the house to yourself and it is not that bad!!

Unknown said...

Your old neighbor girls went to that camp way back when and we all loved it!