Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Faucet Fiasco.....

It all started a couple months back.....
My kitchen faucet was leaking around the base....and like every good man, Steve hopped to it and rebuilt the insides with new gaskets.  I was so excited....it's the little joys for me!!  To my disappointment...it continued to leak..slightly.  Steve said it was worn out!  
So, I put that on my Christmas List...because...I'm a practical girl like that!  To my surprise I got one...it was a Moen.  This is where the plot becomes thicker!  It was a regular faucet.. you know, you turn it on and water comes out...perfect!  I liked it except for the way you had to turn it on...you had to turn it on then to the left or right...I know, I'm weird...but if you knew how long I had my old faucet, you would understand why I cared so much...it was going to be with me for a long while!  So I decided to get a Delta...which is the brand I had..and it served me well.  

So off to Menard's...but I just couldn't decide what to get.  We looked over the pull out sprayers versions, the tall versions, the $39 versions...all of them!  On another occasion I was going to go to Lowe's...'cause Lowe's Knows!  Mistake #1--I took along Troy and his friend Tyler because they wanted to go to Best Buys.  All was good but they were rushing me.  They were hiding in the display showers waiting for an unsuspecting customer..and putting out orange cones in the isles!  I panicked and grabbed the Delta that I thought I liked  (key word... thought!!)  Steve installed it, like all good men, and the side sprayer leaked... What!...how could this be, it's a new faucet..and the handle to turn it on was so short and stubby.  I whined and complained and Steve, like all good men, agreed to take it out and let me return it..I guess Lowe's doesn't know! I have to say Lowe's was very good about the return!
I re-looked over their choices, and then headed to Discount Home Improvement...I was tempted to purchase one there..but with my track record, I wanted one that I could return...only an in store credit...wasn't working for me!  Against my better judgement I went to Home Depot...I don't really like them..so I try not to purchase anything there...but I was desperate!
So back to Menard's....I finally decided on a pull out sprayer type....I mean...how bad can they be...everyone else has them!  So proudly, I purchased my faucet and headed home...I really wanted to cry over the whole thing!  Steve took one look at it and thought it looked good!  So, Friday before HFG, Steve, like all good men, installed the new faucet..I think the angels above were singing...relief & delight!
That was until we got it installed...it took us 2.5 seconds to realize how much we hated it!  Steve's words.."I'm taking that out in the morning and you are returning it to Menard's!"  The biggest problem..a design flaw....when you pull out the handle, to use as a sprayer... the hose kinks off and you have no water!  Then when we would pull out 20" of the 34" of hose they give you....you can't get it back in the faucet with out feeding it back in with two hands....helpful!
So, we are at 3 faucets purchased...2 installed...in case you are keeping track! 
Back to Menard's on Saturday morning...stewed, him-hawed, People were probably wondering what I was doing looking at the faucets for soooo long!  I decided on a Delta regular faucet with a side sprayer (which is originally what Steve got me!) (BTW..they didn't even have the Moen on display anymore..which at this point I was willing to have!)  I made a few friends in the faucet isle and explained my plight to a few compassionate women...they understood!  Standing in line I hear a voice from behind me..."Hey, what faucet did you end up with?"...just a friend from the faucet isle...we go way back!!...lol!
The story doesn't end here..there's more!  I brought my new purchase home...the kids are now rolling their eyes and are in disbelief that Steve has done all this for me....sweet little me!
After Steve, like all good men, installed it 1/2 way, we realized a ding in the face plate thingy....I know what you are thinking...live with it!!!  Back to Menard's! Score 5 faucets..4 installed!
So, I know you are all wondering what this beauty looks like?  Really, it's not that great..it just a faucet!  My old, slightly drippy, faucet was looking pretty good at the end of this fiasco!  
See she's not that grand!
Life Lessons I learned...
1)  To be content with what I have!  I should had a more content heart.  I bought into the worlds lie that tells me I need something better..newer..brighter..cleaner..I deserve it!  This has been my prayer as of lately...Lord, help me to be more content and love the things that matter in life.

2)  My husband really really loves me.  I don't know many men that would install 4 faucets for their wife.  Steve loves me so much he cares about MY happiness!  We sees joy in seeing my happiness.  He truly cares for me.  He didn't just tell me to live with it!  He was so sweet through it all.  With marriages crumbling all around us...it's rare that you see a functioning marriage relationship. I'm so glad he selflessly loves me!

3) Things aren't what they appear. I spent hours running from one store to another...and in reality you don't really know what you have till it is installed.  They all looked shine and new and I dreamed of using it to wash my hands under it's warm water and how pleased I would be with it!  Faucets don't bring happiness!

Final thought...
Learn to be content with what God has blessed you with!  

4 comments:

Vicki said...

What a great story. I'm so relieved to find out I'm not the only one who has these issues. I must say though you are truly blessed to have such a patient hubby.
Oh! I like your new faucet, may it last the rest of your life. :)

Tod Henderson said...

Steve you are making us all nervous. Don't set the bar too high!

Anonymous said...

Not thinking I want to replace my faucet anytime soon!! Linda

Anonymous said...

You should have called me at work! =)!! (Blakeslee & Son, INC. PLUMBING, Heating, & AC) - Amanda Miller