Saturday, May 14, 2011

Flying High...

SSSOOO I wrote this post a couple days back and posted it... I just went to look at it today and it wasn't there and half the post was gone...so I had to re-write a lot of it...so now it's a new post....=)!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday we were guests on the Linsley Express. The story begins three short years ago..when Steve celebrated his 40th birthday!  For his birthday I gave him a plane ride with a friend, Mark Linsley.  Well as life has it, he never took the flight. Amongst Mark's busy life....his job and his 6 kids and our life and snow and rain and wind....it just never worked out...until now! I even felt guilty tearing Mark away from his kids' Saturday morning ball games...A HUGE Thank you to him..and his wife Dusty for allowing him to go!! 
I'll have to admit it was a beautiful day!
Round 1....
Steve, Troy & Trent.  The plane is owned by Mark & his dad.  It didn't scare me too much that they had purchased the plane after it was destroyed by a hanger door and the middle area was crushed...no, that didn't scare me at all!!!!  Mark's dad had spent a year rebuilding the plane.
They tell me this is a Cessna 170...which doesn't mean a lot to me...but to some of you that means a lot! Like how many passengers you can have, how long it is, how heavy it is, how much fuel you can put in it, the wing size and on & on & on

and they are off....
and they are back
On Round 2..
Mark told Tyler to hop in the pilot's seat..what? wait? he's never flown a plane before!?!?  Mark was going to ride co-pilot!  Trent and I were riding as back seat passengers.
Here Mark is giving Tyler a short flying lesson...
Me re-thinking my decision to ride.  I'm not a huge fan of heights or pilot training
I think I can do it....
Mark & Tyler going through the take off check list.  Fun Fact about Mark----his Grandpa started the Aviation program at Grand Rapids School of Bible & Music (now Cornerstone)
Cool Cat Trent.  The kid never even batted an eye on the flight!
(This was the first time Troy & Trent had ever been in a plane)

Tyler first time flying high! He did a great job!
Those to were chatting as if we weren't cruising around the sky.  
'Hello boys we are in the air!!!'
Trent said "mom look out the window and enjoy the ride!!"
Our town...Kent City
High School in upper right corner
our house..red truck in driveway
our church..Kent City Baptist
Coming in for a landing...great job Tyler and Mark!
Tyler in front of the airport that he took his first flight at!
Some of you might not know this but Tyler has been attending KCTC in Grand Rapids his Junior & Senior year.  He gets up at 5:20ish every day to catch the bus that eventually transports him to the Kent County Airport.  KCTC owns a hanger next to Amway's where they teach Avionics and Aviation Maintenance..he attends the latter.  He has really enjoyed the program and it has given him a great foundation to pursue a career in aviation. He are so proud of Tyler's diligence in following through with the program!!! 
A HUGE thank you to Mark for encouraging Tyler and allowing him a taste of flying...a day he will never forget!

2 comments:

Vicki said...

You brave soul! I think you were in good hands. I love the aerial shot of your home, but I thought your church was across the street from you? How far is it now?

~joanne said...

I was in great hands!

Our church used to be across the street (still there..our teen center & offices)..we built a new one about 3 years ago...it's still in town just up & around the corner a bit.